now that january is already half way over here are a few musts for the new year. it is part of the plan of getting back my old self while finding my new self. I think that will be my focus for the year. finding that balance.
green smoothies
I've been making a green smoothie once a day for about a week now. they're easy to make and to clean up (back in our juicing days I loathed cleaning the juicer. so many tiny parts to wash. now I just use my regular old blender, nothing fancy and it's a snap to clean up.) I haven't followed any particular recipe. I'm a fly by the seat of your pants green smoothiest, I think. just throwing in whatever suits my mood. some greens, some fruit. easy peasy.
eat whole foods
this is always a goal of mine. will try to take it further this year. some tips on eating with whole foods: shop the perimeter of your grocery store. and don't buy pre-packaged stuff. this leads into my next goal.
make more
I used to make my own crackers, vegetable stock, bread, et cetera all the time. I need to get back into doing that. I feel that I have more of the motivation to do that now. and the energy. I did make some french peasant bread last week, so I'm on my way.
exercise
find what I can do, when I can do it. seriously, how do mammas fit this into their day? drop foot hasn't made it any easier. my plan was to make a come back postpartum. to become a faster, better runner because that can totally happen after giving birth. thank you drop foot, for no longer making that a reality. now it's all I can do to just find what I can do. I'm thinking spin classes are in my future. and I'm sure the elliptical would work. and I need to try swimming again now that the foot isn't as sensitive. but again, when do I find a time to do all this with the boy? wake up super, super early and go while both boys are still sleeping? I don't know. all I know is that I need to get moving -- stat!
eat locally
this year our garden will be more thought out and get planted much earlier. and I vow to visit the farmer's market this year too. I never go and I don't know why. I am going to become a semi-rawist. {because let's face it, I really do have an addiction to cooked food. and is there anything wrong with that?!}
sew more
I have a problem. I really love to sew, but hardly get around to actually doing it. I think about it all the time. dream up better ways to put my projects together. but when it comes down to it, sometimes I lack the actual motivation to go in the craft room and sew. maybe because it's so cold in there? I don't know. but I need to do it more often. it is such a great creative outlet for me.
read more
I have already read two books this year. born to run and song of solomon. now that I've ditched my laptop, I actually have the time + motivation to read books. it's a beautiful thing. I will have to do a little book club review of born to run because it was so inspiring and amazing.
less tv
don't you hate it when you just sit down in front of the tv for no real reason and it sucks your life away? I do. so I will watch my shows, but nothing more. lost, 30 rock, maybe the office...
less computer
again, ditching the laptop was probably the best thing I could have ever done. it is giving me my life back.
embrace my life with drop foot
I have been letting this drop foot control my life. no more. I can still do things. I can get around. it doesn't hamper my life that much. I should be grateful that I can walk at all. it's slowly getting better and now that it's not so painful and hyper-sensitive it is getting much easier to live with. I won't let it hold me back anymore. this will not define me!
run barefoot
once I can hold my foot up on its own again, I will get into barefoot running. I think this is just what my body needs. to re-learn how to run naturally, softly. am hoping it clears up some chronic issues with my body. my sister and brother inlaw just got the vibram five-fingers, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear how it affects their running. it could be all the rage for the running members of my family, I'm just sayin'. free the feet, free the mind. viva la barefoot!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I'm totally going to start making more green smoothies in my VitaMix too! I love all of your goals Anna! Go get em'!
Anna Jo, you totally inspire me all the time. You are amazing!
I'm trying to figure out when to fit in the exercise too. It's so hard when you're a Mom and you just want to be at home with your family. And also sleep. I am so not a morning person. I can get up early like once a week. UGH.
Now that your foot isn't as crazy sensitive maybe I can come back over and try some mild deep tissue? It might help! Just let me know.
Rock on, little Momma. :)
Seriously, finding the best time to squeeze the workouts in while being the mom and wife is a tricky business but you'll figure out what works best for you guys with a little trial and error.
I've drastically reduced my computer time and seriously, it's pathetic how difficult it was for me at first. Sad dance...
And, I did my first treadmill run with the five fingers and it was better for me. I hate treadmill running overall and before I was always dragging my feet or not picking them up enough or something. Treadmill running is not natural to me but it was easier with the five fingers. So far I give them two big thumbs up!
And I should do the whole green smoothie stuff, it'd make Grandpa proud. :)
The ONLY time that works for me to fit in fitness is at 530 before anyone wakes up. And high five on the green smoothies!
I love these goals! Also, if you want to workout WITH the babe, you should look into my sister's company Fit 4 Mamas. My sister is a licenced fitness instructor and has classes a couple times a week to work out while interacting with their kiddos. I've been to some family classes and they are great! You can look at more info on her website:
http://www.fit4mamas.com/
Oh, and the first week is free!
barefoot or vibram 5 fingers are all the rage here too. i am on the waiting list for the book and will definitely consider it post baby. i just think with all the extra weight and loose joints, not a good idea. i should try to do more raw, but that is hard. in the summer, it's not as bad when it is too hot to eat anything cooked anyway. amen to less tv. we have actually not done too bad this winter, but i do love to decompress in front of the tv after the kids are down, but a book is a much better way to do it. and i wish i wanted to make more, but really i find myself making less and less because i just don't have time. oh well. good luck with the exercising. you'll figure it out with babe. once you get the hang of it and make it a habit, it's not that hard. i just look forward to the day that my oldest can watch the youngsters for a while so i can run. thanks for the post, i love to read others' goals.
You can practice running barefoot on the beach!
I've been meaning to ask you if you've heard about the Masai Barefoot shoes. Looks like it's different than the 5 Fingers dealy (which I'd never heard of before), but based on the same idea that feet are awesome all on their own. I don't know if you can exercise in the MBTs, though; I think they're just for walking around. Plus they're expensive. Hmmm.
Anyway. Glad to hear your drop foot is a little bit better! I hope it'll clear up ALL the way soon. :-)
Hooray for green shakes. I just sent you an email about them. I have a lot of the same dilemmas as you. It's hard to find time to exercise and work on your hobbies with a little one around. And sometimes nap time is my only time to rest. I like to take Jack to the gym with me and let the kids club take care of him for an hour while I work out...
You are so positive, Anna! I think your goals are amazing.
Let Pete have "guy time" with PJ a few days a week while you go to spin class. It's great momtherapy and good bonding time for them.
Have you heard of the book called "Born to run"? I think this book is about running barefoot. Mike wanted to read it, though he never did. you should read it if you haven't already!!
I just came across your blog. I too recently read Born To Run....and bought Vibram Five Fingers. Hopefully 2010 will bring us good things going barefoot!
Post a Comment