
the outfit: small paul paul frank shirt, thrifted and still slightly too big for my little monkey;
red thirsties cover over a flat; and a brand new pair of babylegs, via knee-high socks from target.
babylegs are a great thing in any baby's wardrobe. boy or girl. crawling or not. even when it's 96 degrees outside. okay, okay. we're in our cold basement. they work.
but I don't really want to shell out the cash for actual babylegs. I'd rather just make them myself. ya know what I mean? good thing they're surprisingly easy to make. all you need are the following items:
::socks, preferably knee-highs (and upcycling old, previously worn and loved socks gives you karma points!)
::scissors
::thread, coordinating if so desired (but you really wont see any stitches anyway, so it doesn't really matter)
::sewing machine or serger
now I made four pairs this afternoon in about ten minutes. so this is a quick and easy craft you can easily do while baby naps or sits there in the craftroom jumparoo eating the various doo-dads. my son did the latter.
and this is not a tutorial post. because, really, did I take any pictures of the process? no. but I can point you in the right direction. like here. or here. the basic idea is this: take your sock, cut off the toe, cut out the heel. throw the toe piece and heel piece away--unless you can find something else useful to do with them, which I highly encourage you to do. the little piece in between the toe and heel is now going to be the cuff you sew on. just fold it in half with the right side of the fabric facing out. then sandwich the rest of the sock into the cuff piece you just made. all raw edges will be lined up at this point and all fabrics will be righ sides facing out. then get out your sewing machine and sew around the raw edges with a zigzag stitch. or use your serger and just zip around. just make sure all raw edges are lined up as you go. once done, just flip the cuff part up and ta-da! you have made a babyleg. was that confusing at all?
did this turn into a picturless tutorial post? okay, maybe just go to the linked tutorials. pictures are always helpful. sorry.

6 comments:
Fashion boy!
oh my, how cute is mr miles in his outfit?!?! i LOVE his cute face!
when i have kids, can i have you just make me all sorts of cute stuff? thanks!
i need to be more crafty like you. i'm totally diggin his babylegs!
So cute!!
I love all your crafts. You are so talented. We'll have to have another crafting class soon.
i need to make some of those for little amelia for sure. thanks for the tips. i have lots of knee high socks that i love or maybe i will have to go thrifting for some fun ones.
Post a Comment