Wednesday, November 14, 2007

butternut squash soup

I've been wanting to make butternut squash soup for the past couple of weeks. I tried last week, but pete went to the store and came home with the wrong kind of squash. this week we got it right. it is such a fantastic soup. it has such a deep, creamy color + taste. perfect for an autumn evening.


the soup:
1 butternut sqaush
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
vegetable stock
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste

cut the squash in half length wise, bake at 400 for about 30-40 minutes. once cooled to touch, remove the flesh from the skin and cube.

melt the butter in a pot, add the onion, potato, carrot. cook for about five minutes. add some stock until the veggies are covered. add the butternut squash. bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and cook for about 40 minutes.

put the veggie mixture in a blender (don't use a hand-mixer. it's a disaster. trust me.) and puree. pour it back in the pot and place on the stove over low heat. add more vegetable stock until the desired consistency.

season to taste with the salt, pepper and cayenne.

serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

KJQ said...

I love Butternut Squash soup. This recipe looks so yummy. I am going to try it. So don't be surprised when I call you and need some help during dinner time :)

John + Bethany said...

This looks yummy. Is this what you are bringing to our get-together? Woot.