Monday, October 22, 2007

the real deal

since we all know you can't make a pumpkin pie (or anything pumpkiny delicioius) out of a regular pumpkin of the jack-o-lantern variety, I went out and bought a couple sugar pumpkins. {okay, the sign at the grocery store said they were pie pumpkins. since I was making pie, I figured this would be good enough, and that they were probably the same thing as a sugar pumpkin anyway, just under another guise.} yesterday I ventured into making the pie. the real, whole-foods pumpkin pie. for a girl who doesn't love pie {though let's be honest, I don't quite hate pie either} I do find myself making quite a lot of them. now I can add pumpkin to the repertoire.

it turned out quite delisious, in case you were wondering. it even held up to a side by side comparison of a marie callender's pumpkin pie.

fresh pumpkin pie recipe via allrecipes.com

Fresh Pumpkin Pie


1 medium sugar pumpkin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup honey, warmed slightly
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1. cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. lightly oil the cut side and place cut side down on a baking sheet. bake at 325 for about an hour, or until flesh is tender. cool until warkably warm. scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel and either mash or puree in a blender.

2. in a large bowl blend together two cups pumpkin puree, spices and salt. beat in vanilla, eggs, honey, milk and cream. pour filling into pie shell.

3. bake at 400 for 50 - 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted one inch from the crust comes out clean.


No Roll Pie Crust via allrecipes.com

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons milk

1. in a 9 inch pie plate sift flour, sugar and salt. make a well in the center and add the oil and milk. mix with a fork, then press into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

2. bake at 425 for about 8 to 10 minutes. **for this pumpkin pie recipe, though, I didn't pre-bake the crust and it turned out fantastic**


whipped cream

1/2 pint whipping cream (the little box)
1/4 cup white sugar

1. mix the whipping cream and sugar.

2. blend the heck out of it until desired consistency.

5 comments:

marta said...

oooh la la. yum yum. pumpkin pie is my favorite. wish i had a bite of yours! you keep outdoing yourself.. way to go miss domestic diva.

Unknown said...

i am a pumpkin pie lover. i have to say i was skeptical of the pie being from real pumpkin, since i have heard they're usually not that good.

this pie took that stereotype to the ground. seriously, it is one of the best pumpkin pies i've ever tasted. i'm excited go come home and eat the rest.

Jake said...

wow...sounds really good!

Travelin'Oma said...

Pumpkin Pie with real whipping cream: You can't beat it!

Gilbrides said...

you are so talented! I am so impressed and inspired by all that you are doing. It is so fun to read about your life. I love checking up on you and seeing your new adventures. I can't wait for your next blog to see what you're up to.