Tuesday, October 23, 2007

green girls go in the dark

photo via my cellular telephone

here in continuing ed we're striving to do the little things. because as we all know, it's the little things that can add up to make a huge impact in this world.

we are encouraged to turn off lights when we leave any room (breakroom, bathroom, et cetera). the offices of my coworkers are often dimly lighted. we try to use the least amount of unnatural lighting as possible, as to save energy. and this carries over to the bathroom as well.

it's not unnusual to pee in the dark around here. now sometimes using the bathroom without the lights on is not a problem. different amounts of light stream through the window at various times of the day. for me it's usually an internal debate as to whether it's dark enough to justify turning on the lights. are other people already in here peeing in the dark? will I be able to see well enough? sometimes you will be in there doing your business and someone else will come in and turn on the lights. there's always that moment of relief that you can actually see.

though let's be honest, the darkness is not really that bad. your eyes adjust. you can see. maybe we should all pee in the dark. (in the name of the environment.) {though I'm not sure I advise this for boys who have a hard time aiming}

3 comments:

Christie said...

As the one who cleans up after peopole who cannot seem to aim for the toilet no matter how much light there is, I would be physically unable to encourage peeing in the dark. But you go, girl. Pee green.

Travelin'Oma said...

I have been in bathrooms where it looks (and feels) like someone did it in the dark. That's when I wish I did push ups and I could hold myself above the seat.

~B. said...

Why not just try solar lights instead?

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf57114170.tip.html

Did you know though, that when designing lighting plans for older people, they tend to need more bright lights? It's true. I'm in that league. I cannot function well in dimly lit rooms. I need lots of bright light and lots of task lighting too.

Another option is SolaTubes. I really, really want some of those!

http://www.solatube.com/

So sure, pee without electricity but you can have the room light without resorting to dimness or darkness!