I just took the pledge."I, anna jo, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of LIFE. I pledge that i shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoted, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings!I figured I might as well jump right in and become a lifer. I mean, how often do I buy new clothes anyway? in the recent months my commitment to thrift + reconstruction has spilled into every aspect of my life. I don't want to buy new. I want to re-use the resources we've already got floating around this world.
Signed, anna jo."
I'm excited to start my adventure in refashion.
{do you want to pledge for two, four, or maybe even six months? read the rules here and jump in on the fun! and don't worry, if you screw up you can use your get out of jail free card}

11 comments:
holy crap, anna jo! this is a serious commitment!!! i'm impressed! i don't know that i can do this...i may end up naked by the end...
oh but you spark an idea in my head. maybe i can take some baby steps to this. you're awesome! and yes!!! post photos!!!
I can't sew worth anything! I'd have to wear things just like I found them, and that's pretty boring don't you think?
Now that I'm the proud owner of a new sewing machine (as of a day ago), I am really excited to do more of this type of thing. I'm excited to improve my sewing skills.
Does this pledge only apply to clothes for you, or does it apply to Pete and fetus as well? ...just curious.
I know! I asked pete if I should do it for 2 months, 4 months or 6 months and he was like, "if you're going to do it why not do it for good? how often do you buy clothes anyway?" and I thought, good point. so I pledged for life. eek! then later {maybe when he was a little more with it} he read my blog and was shocked that I'd pledge for life--like what a commitment! so yeah, here I am pledgin' for life. :)
but really, even before I found out about wardrobe refashion, I was thinking how I didn't want to use new planetary resources anymore, because you can reuse stuff just as easy. and the thought of also making my own + recrafting old stuff just sounds so exciting to me. I will be my own fashion designer.
and eliza, this applies mostly to me and fetus. ...and if I happen to buy pete clothes, which really isn't all that often. but maybe he'll jump on the thrift store band wagon too! {because let's be honest, this guy is all about saving money!}
For life? That's a commitment. I admire you for that! We should do a sewing time together one of these days. Today I was shopping for my friend's baby girl and almost bought a pattern and a material to make her a dress, but I didn't because I didn't think I could do it!!! You need to teach me how to sew!
So I'm wondering if you want stuff I give to DI to use for material. Where do you get the material to reuse? And does this extend to people giving baby presents and stuff to you and yours?
rui- I think you already know how to sew better than I do. but yes, we should definitely have a sewing party!
oma- yeah, it just depends on the material/stuff you have... if it's a cute print I'd probably use it, etc. sometimes I'll find cute sheets that I can use for fabric. but I can go to the fabric store and buy fabrics and be within the perameters of my pledge too. and if people want to buy me new clothes as gifts or whatever, I'd accept. but maybe this will help people look outside the box and start thrifting!
after I was sick and lost some weight I took a lot of my clothes in. I made some of my tops into skirts and dresses into skirts. it was kind of fun to see what i could do. some of the stuff didn't work out, but some of it did. i don't think i could take a pledge, but i do like the idea of redesigning clothes. you are very brave and i applaud you!
i am all about reusing and thrift stores but i don't think i could sew any wearable clothes. i made a dress for yw goal way back when. and i have made a few costumes for the kids, but something i wore all the time. wow!! you are awesome. i could committ to never buying anything that cost me more than $10because i already do that (except for running and biking gear). probably 80% of my wardrobe (and my kids') is DI or hand me downs. the other 20 is old navy clearance.
i'll really have to think about this one.
Good job Anna! I think it is awesome that you are a lifer. Why not just go all in? Maybe someday I will learn how to sew so that I can take a pledge.
Good luck and happy sewing.
sis, i think you rock + i would love to commit to being a lifer... but i just don't know if i can do it yet! maybe in a little while. and i need my own sewing machine too... so maybe when i get one of those, i'll commit!
Post a Comment