I can finally say I've seen ben folds live--unfortunately without his five, no reunion show. {check number eight off the list!} let me recap the ben folds live near misses:
yeah, so can you see why it became my life's mission to see this man? so many missed opportunities.
I hadn't realized just how long I've loved ben folds. ten years. quite possibly eleven. how has it been that long? each song he played from the ben folds five era just took me back to the day. each album reminds me of such a specific time in my life. it was fun to revisit that. and I loved the sneak peak into his new album. oh yeah, and did I mention he puts on a fun, fun show?
now if only something could be done about tall people. they should not be allowed.
instance number one: my first counting crows concert oh so many years ago. ben folds five was touring with them as the opening act. adam duritz gets sick and the show is rescheduled. by the time adam duritz and the boys make it back to salt lake city, ben and his gang are no longer on the tour. at this time I didn't truly realize what a sad, sad thing that was.
instance number two: ben folds five was playing at the Big Ass Show (which will now be referred to as the BASH, for all you young, sensitive-eyed readers). I was going to Snow College at the time, but just happened to be up in SLC for the weekend because we had a soccer game against SLCC. perfect. I'd play some soccer and then head over to the show, I'd get to see ben folds and all would be happy. too bad that's not how it went down. I was going over to the BASH with my dear friend and teammate, cyndi morris. we had to make a quick stop at her sister's house first. that quick stop didn't end up being so quick. by the time we got to the fairgrounds, ben folds had just ended. I was devastated in my heart. he was really the only band I wanted to see.
instance number three: mr ben folds was playing a free show in some little club downtown. I found out the. day. after.
yeah, so can you see why it became my life's mission to see this man? so many missed opportunities.
I hadn't realized just how long I've loved ben folds. ten years. quite possibly eleven. how has it been that long? each song he played from the ben folds five era just took me back to the day. each album reminds me of such a specific time in my life. it was fun to revisit that. and I loved the sneak peak into his new album. oh yeah, and did I mention he puts on a fun, fun show?
now if only something could be done about tall people. they should not be allowed.

the night started with a little I *heart* sushi and ended with a little I *heart* ben folds. thank you, birds, for sharing in the magic.

6 comments:
Anna.. I found your blog off of Bethany's.. how are you?!?! I haven't seen you since Snow!! I just wanted to say "hi" Hope you are doing well..
Marilee
True. It was the best. I'm so glad that you finally go to see ben.
Ben Folds in this photo looks like Pete did on Halloween! Do they all work at the same Office?
I'm glad you got to see him!
Yay! I'm glad you finally got to see him, and I'm sad I didn't get to go this time. I do have to say that seeing them at the BASH was the best ever...and I'm still sad that you didn't get to see them then, all those years ago. I heart Ben Folds.
I love Ben Folds. He has some of the best songs! I'm glad you got to see him.
YOU KNOW WHAT?! i don't remember exactly what happened with my sister and the bash day, but I'M REALLY SORRY! oh-freakin-kay! gosh! i just do the best i can and that's the best i can do...i'm certian this show was the most rockin of all the possibilities anyway, okay?!
i heart ben folds too...a lotta.
Post a Comment