[somewhere in the half-light of saturday morning. right before my eighteen mile run.]
it was marathon morning. I didn't seem all that prepared. like I didn't even have my favorite socks! (you know, the ones with the L and the R on the toes) the ones I have been planning to race in because they're probably the thinnest ones I own. so I had to use someone else's socks. luckily they were the ones with the L and the R on the toes. I finally got myself over to the race and had to find my pace group. I found the leader and there was only one other runner in the group. we must've started the race, but the other guy just seemed to disappear. it was just me and the pace group leader. for some reason--and this is where it starts to really get weird--we went to my parents house (you know, in utah. nowhere close to north dakota!) and had scripture study with my family. scripture study?! that took a while and after it was done we went into my parents kitchen and mr pace group guy started showing me all these little trinkets that he had and was trying to give to me. then I realized, hey, wait a minute! we're supposed to be running a race here. I'm trying to qualify! we'll never make it in time! pure panic. and it's like the guy didn't even really seam to care. yeah. so I'm freaking out, thinking how fast are we going to have to run to make up this time?!
I was in that state of half-consciousness, wondering if I ever finished. if I qualified for boston or not. and then I slipped into my next dream. . .
I was with katie holmes and tom cruise. you know, of tomkat fame. oh, and there little baby, suri. in their house. cleaning their toilet. I was mostly hanging out with katie. we didn't want to disturb tom because it was apparent that he wasn't a nice guy. like I was a little scared for katie, like maybe he had threatened her life at some point. like there was that unspoken tension between them. it was a weird vibe. and why was I cleaning tomkat's toilet, you might be wondering? I have no idea. I should've just made that little miss katie holmes scrub that bowl herself.
now when I woke up I still couldn't shake that feeling. . . that slight panic, wondering if I ever qualified or not. and I was also wondering why tomkat made an appearance at all. pete thinks it's because I'm still so bitter that she ever thought she could just up and run the boston marathon because she's a celebrity. (or was that really just a rumor? a publicity rouse?) people have to earn that right, missy! people like me, so just back off!!
*phew!*
okay, so now all my psycho-analysis readers, analyze me! do you think my dreams mean anything in particular? are they even related? weigh in. the best interpretation wins a prize.*
*prize yet to be determined, but will be super cool. obviously.

4 comments:
wow. You've been hangin' out with my mom...she always has the wackiest dreams. They must be contagious!
ok, here is my analysis:
you dreamed the first dream because you are putting your running before your scripture study in real life (i am totally just kidding...)
i really do think you dreamed the second one about tomkat A) because tom cruise is a physco and i am 99% positive he has put her under some scientology spell and might have possibly threatened her life as well and B) because if Katie did get into the Boston Marathon because of her celeberity, that would be pretty L-A-M-E!
and end analysis.
i hope i win!
I believe that dreams are almost always metaphors for something else, so the marathon probably wasn't (or wasn't just) a marathon. It could represent your own long-term goals, or goals that you think you're "supposed to" have at your age / life stage; it could represent your work ethic; it could be your priorities.
Okay, so now pick one of those (or any other metaphor that seems appropriate to the issues in your life right now; I don't think I know enough of the details to say). In what way do you feel unprepared to meet the challenges? If, for instance, the marathon feels like a representation of your goals, do you feel like you're having trouble keeping focused on them while everyone else around you has their lives totally together? (I'm not saying that you don't, by the way; personally, I think you're amazing.) Perhaps that's why you're alone, or nearly alone in the group. Are distractions -- even good, worthy ones (because life is often a choice not between good / bad, but between good / good or good / gooder, lol) -- keeping you from accomplishing the things you want? Do you feel like your days are slipping away from you and you won't have time catch up to where you thought you'd be by now? Or could your subconscious be telling you that you need the break from the rat race to focus your priorities elsewhere?
As for TomKat: People in dreams -- especially when they're so random as to be caricatures more than flesh and blood people -- can represent different aspects of ourselves. Tom is domineering, and making you do menial work. (Or he wanted Katie to do it, but she passed it on to you.) There's a lot of tension. Do you feel tension in your life between things you "should" be doing and things you want to do instead? Do you resent the tyrannical responsible voice in your head telling you to clean the proverbial toilet (or else!!!)? Do you procrastinate? (That would be Katie -- passive-aggressively avoiding the task by making the dream You do it instead.) Do you fear what will happen if you let those things (whatever they are -- the crap in life that nobody enjoys, but has to be done) slide?
Welp, there are some ideas for you to mull over. Depending on your choice of metaphor, the dreams could be related ... or not. ;-)
Fun times. That'll be $120/hr, please, for my psychoanalytical services. :-)
Crazy a.joke dreaming for sure!
I'm not much help because last night I dreamt about two big elephants trying to kill me but I was narrowly escaping death by climbing on top of the Centerville DI roof where they mostly couldn't reach me.
Post a Comment