Wednesday, March 12, 2008

frijoles negros, the soup.

we love our beans around here, it's true. so much so my cute husband almost cried in costa rica when the first meal he ordered, the black bean soup, was nothing of what he expected. {and he had some pretty high expectations} basically it was just the water the beans were cooked in with an egg thrown in. he was heart broken.

I'm glad to say that last night I made everything right. last night I made the black bean soup this boy dreamt of. the soup he was expecting, but never got.

thank you stephanie, the crockpot lady, for giving us this soup. this ridiculously easy crock pot soup! your year-long adventure into the slowcooker has been worth it, if only for this.

changes I made to the recipe:
*instead of canned beans I used the dry variety. it was so simple. I soaked the beans overnight in the crockpot. in the morning I rinsed the beans again and then put new water in. added other ingredients. set on low to cook all day long without any effort from myself. the beans cooked along with the rest of it! so beautiful.
*I used a half a cup of corn, carrots and onion. blended thoroughly.
*I also used cotija cheese instead of parmesan for sprinkling. we're all about the authentic mexican flavor around here.

1 comment:

Stephanie ODea said...

thank you for the link, and for the vote of confidence!

I get worried when people make the recipes that it won't taste right to them--like my taste buds are skewed somehow.

I appreciate the feedback--thank you!

xoxo
steph