Sunday, February 10, 2008

I wanna rock and roll all day. . . and party every night.

it seems I've been partying non-stop this entire weekend. bringing in my 30th year in style. if a weekend is any indicator of a year, 29 won't be so bad. not so bad at all.

it all started when peter picked me up from hot yoga on friday. with food on our minds we ended up at barbacoa for fat burritos in our stomachs. he mentioned there was a band playing at kilby court who I'd probably like. it was some good old fashioned americana folk rock. it was leslie and the badgers.

and oh my goodness was he ever right. they were amazing musicians with a fun + funky style. check them out, please! {if not here --I especially love old timers-- then here, here, and here!} I am smitten with leslie and her badgers. just absolutely smitten.

at exactly 12 o'clock am, the very minute my birthday began, we watched one of my favorite movies on the big screen. while leaving barbacoa's I saw up on the marquee, in big bright lights, that the 'burbs was the midnight show at the tower. oh my goodness, I screamed so loudly with excitement! if you didn't know already, I absolutely just love this movie. such a classic. favorite line: [chanting] I wanna kill everyone, satan is good, satan is my pal. {okay, so if you've never seen the movie you might think that's a little weird to be my favorite line. I don't really like satan, and he is definitely not my pal. but I just love it in context. such a funny moment.} we had to struggle just to make it--let's be honest, I'm practically falling asleep at ten o'clock every night--but make it we did. I even stayed awake through most of the movie! (don't worry, I've seen it before. I know how it ends.) seriously, killer movie. (get it? killer movie. . .)


I woke up to a kiss from peter as he was saying goodbye. "I'm going skiing now!" I looked at him suspiciously, "but you're wearing jeans. . ." he then gave me some story about backcountry skiing and having to take all his gear. yeah, not buying it. I knew something was up. he left, then I dragged my birthday butt out of bed. after doing my happy birthday ten miler I came home to find this surprise party: a homemade breakfast {german pancakes} made by peter and a pile of presents.


but the surprise parties did not end there, oh no. peter had planned and pulled off a complete party without my knowledge. (if you remember the costa rica surprise, you'll know that's quite a feat!) I had no idea. {he is amazing.} he got me out of the house because we needed to go to the grocery store. I didn't even notice all the extra cars in our parking lot behind the apartment. not until I stepped in my house and the lights came on and I saw all the cute smiling faces of some of my neartest + dearest did I have any clue. I was in shock. it was the best surprise ever. and a fun, fun party. we even made my favorite shakes! strawberry + banana, a true love story.

the parties haven't seemed to end, either. tonight was a fabulous valentine party hosted by the fabulous marta. holiday cookies + beans spilled everywhere. oh, and some great jokes from the peanut gallery.

what a fantastic weekend. . . do I really have to go back to work tomorrow?

8 comments:

marta said...

hooray for sweet anna! happy birthday to you, what a fabulous weekend. shakes and all. am glad we could share it with you. you are so darn cute. we are glad you're in our family.

Travelin'Oma said...

You guys are serious party-ers!

Christie said...

Happy birthday, Anna Jo!

And yes, I do love Satan, and he is my pal.

BEST LINE EVER!

John + Bethany said...

It sounds like you had some good times. I am a little sad that I am no longer one of your nearest and dearest because I didn't get invited to your party. :( I know I am not in the married kids club...I'm blaming your husband cause maybe he didn't have my number. I was even in Salt Lake. And wasn't doing anything. It's all good though...but we should hang out sometime soon when I come down again.

anna jo said...

bethany you're breaking my heart! and yeah, it is all peter's fault. he only called (or probably texted actually) friends that were in his phone too. if I had been in charge of the invites for my surprise party, you definitely would've known about it! so don't worry, it's not because you're not in the married kids club (we don't discriminate like that) it's just that you're not in the pete's phone club.

so when are we going to hang out??! you should let me know the next time you're down in the slc area!!

John + Bethany said...

Ok sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I guess it's hard for pete to surprise you if he has to ask for some of your friends' phone numbers. I know we are still friends. :-) And it's true, we really never hang out so I will call you next time I'm down. We need to go skiing, or at least to lunch or something so I can catch up on your life. At least we have our blogs, right?

Gilbrides said...

wow, so I think I'd have to rank Peter as a #1 husband for sure! What a fun birthday! I am so glad that you had such a great day. Happy Birthday Anna!

Unknown said...

Happy 30th B Day Anna !!
We are so glad we played SLC and could add to your B Day weekend !
Best wishes to you and Peter--

Glenn ( guitar, Leslie And The Badgers )