see, my husband and I stopped buying crackers a while ago. have you ever actually looked at the ingredient list on a box of wheat thins? it's about fifty pages long, with very unpronounceable things. I'm pretty sure high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated (partially or not) oils make the list. yeah. not a pretty sight. so we stopped buying them.
if I had known how ridiculously easy it is to make your own crackers, I would have made the transition sooner. what a healthy + cheap alternative. seriously, today is the day to end your dependence on the boxed variety. the possibilities are endless. get creative. if you can dream it, this cracker can be it. the variations are out there, suited to your unique tastes. {special blend of herbs and/or spices, wheat germ, flax seed, coarse salt, sun dried tomatoes, a light brushing of olive oil just before baking, et cetera, et cetera} now go--mix, roll, bake! but most importantly--savor, appreciate, enjoy.
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 t salt
1/3 C olive oil (or vegetable oil)
1 C water
salt for sprinkling
preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. pour in olive oil and water. mix until just blended.
on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough as thin as possible (no thicker than 1/8 inch). place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet (or two, or three, depending on how thin you were able to roll out the dough) and mark squares out with a knife. prick each cracker a few times with a fork. sprinkle with salt.
bake for 20'ish minutes, or until crisp + light brown. when cool, remove from baking sheet and separate into individual crackers.

8 comments:
ummm they sound tasty. We'll have to give them a shot.
Thanks for letting me sample these! They were delicious!
I am so impressed. I am going to have to start making my own crackers now. They do seem a lot easier than I would have thought. Thanks for the recipe. I love reading your blog and incorporating your ideas into my own life. Thanks Anna. I am looking forward to another year of your wonderful blogs.
How long do they keep? Could I stick them in the cupboard for a while like a regular box of preservative-heavy crackers? This sounds easy enough even for me to try, but I don't know that I/we would eat a whole batch at once.
I guess I could reduce the recipe, but that involves math, lol.
Wahoo! I never realized how easy they were either! We made them yesterday and I even ground my own wheat!
Rachael I think they would be fine for a few days or a week maybe? They don't have the preservatives so won't keep for months like the other stuff.
I agree with becca... I think they'd be good for about a week if you put them in an air-tight container.
and becca--do you have a wheat miller/grinder thing? we need to talk.
Why yes Anna, I do! {and its pretty freaking awesome!}
Thanks for the idea, I tried it out and they were really easy. They taste great too. What other variations do you use? Adding spices of some sort sounds good, but I'm not much of a spice expert.
Post a Comment