Tuesday, October 16, 2007

my newest veggie


it's true, I have never cooked a spaghetti squash. so let me present to you, in honor of my resolution, tonight's dinner: the spaghetti squash.

baked squash with parmesan recipe via vegetarian

7 comments:

Christie said...

I've always wanted to make spaghetti squash. Post your recipe, PULEASE!

anna jo said...

stie, anything for you.

ingredients:
1 medium spaghetti squash
8 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons mixed herbs such as parsley, chives and oregano, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
salt and black pepper

1. bake squash halves (cut length wise) cut side down at 350 for about 40 minutes (pour a little water around them) or until tender

2. blend the butter, herbs, garlic, shallot and lemon juice in a food processor until thoroughly blended and creamy in consistency. season to taste.

3. when the squash is tender scrape out any seeds and cut a thin slice from the base of each half so they will sit level. place squash on warmed serving plates.

4. using a fork, pull out a few of the spaghetti-like strands in the center of each to make room for the filling. add a dollop of herb butter, then sprinkle with parmesan. serve the remaining herb butter and parmesan separately, adding them as you pull out more strands.

ta-da! there you have it, baked squash with parmesan.

(pete and I found that this was a lot of spaghetti squash. we would have been fine with just using one of the halves and then just eating one quarter of the whole squash each. also, it made a ton of herb butter. you could probably half that as well.)

Christie said...

Thanks, friend. I will be trying it. Looks really good!

Beckle the Freckle said...

Yummy! I love spaghetti squash. I could probably eat a whole one myself. Did you love it?

anna jo said...

oh my goodness I had no idea how yummy the spaghetti sqash was. I will be making it more often, that is for sure. I was surprised how spaghetti like it actually is. maybe it was the herb butter, but it really did taste like spaghetti (slightly crunchier, of course)

Rick Edge said...

Hmmmmm...
Spaghettti Squaaaash.
Grhablaeeagraaugh

marta said...

oh. my. goodness. never seen anything like this! this is nuts. and so awesome. thanks for the 411. perfect for halloween brains too!