an excerpt of an article from Spark People:
"What do you eat?!” may be the question most often heard by vegetarians, as if meat is the only food group available. Obviously, as the five million thriving vegetarians in America have shown, there’s a lot to eat, without choosing meat—and they’re healthier as a result.I really like being a flexitarian for the pure fact that it sounds cool. and that nobody has ever heard of it. and really it just means that I can pretty much eat whatever the heck I want. I mean, you might be a flexitarian and not even know it!
According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, vegetarians have lower rates of cancer, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and asthma. While simple recipes abound for tasty meatless fare, vegetarianism is a leap that many aren’t prepared to take. But you can still have many of the health benefits of a vegetarian diet without trading your turkey for Tofurkey by trying "flexitarianism" on for size. Flexitarians, or semi-vegetarians, are “sometimes" vegetarians, meaning people who reduce some of their meat consumption and fill the gap with other plant-based food groups—eating a mostly vegetarian diet, yet remaining flexible.
I really do try to eat more like a vegetarian, I swear. but who can resist burgers?

4 comments:
What are you called if all you want to eat is cookie dough? A cookiedoughitarian?
So this flexitarianism...I take it you can eat red velvet cake, chocolate cake, brownies and pizza? I'm in!
That sounds like a good idea. I want to be a flexitarian too. I guess that means it will take me a long time to get through the 15 pounds of chicken in my freezer.
Flexitarianism (when it means less meat but not strict vegetarianism, as opposed to eat whatever the hell you want-ism) seems to me to be the most in keeping with the Word of Wisdom as far as diet philosophies go.
That occurred to me while reading this discussion in the Bloggernacle today.
Maybe I should try it on for size! Actually, I don't think I'd have a problem with it so much as DH would -- very much a meat and potatoes (and you can skip the potatoes if you want) kid, that boy of mine.
Post a Comment