Thursday, March 30, 2006

The true meaning of home teacherness

My home teachers are leaving me and I'm really pretty upset about it. I can honestly say they've been favorite so far. You know how HT's always say, "If you ever need anything, let us know." And you're always like, "Yeah, sure. Bla bla bla..." Well, for the first time in my life we've really taken this to heart.

Need a vacuum? Call the home teachers. (and hope they don't get too mad when you bring it back broken. or just with a full bag.)

Need a table for a random holiday party? Call the home teachers.

Need a ride to the airport to drop off a rental car? Call the home teachers.

Need a gas can? Call the home teachers.

The list goes on and on. Even though they don't often come over and give us a lesson--we've had such lessons as hacking into a secured wireless internet connection (from Jonny), or keeping the sabbath day holy: "I know it's the sabbath, I respect that" (from Pete, as he justifies skiing on a powder sabbath day)--I really feel that they've captured the true meaning of home teaching: caring for the flock.

And now they're leaving. Jonny started moving out the non-essentials yesterday. He's moving back home to save money to go to grad school or some such nonesense. Pete, Jim, and Ty are all moving into their friend Scott's new house. How could they do this to me? Now I wont have anybody to hang out with who lives conveniently three houses up the street. This is all very sad indeed.

Our next home teachers will probably only come out of responsibility. But hey, maybe they'll have a vacuum too.

No comments: