Monday, September 05, 2005

and after all the waiting I just wanna come back home again

The day consisted of waiting... and eating food. Then waiting some more. Then eating more food. Then waiting.

There was a rumor circulating that the planes were arriving at 11 o'clock; they'd take them to Reese first and then the overflow would be brought to us at the Coliseum. We had everything set up and ready to go. As the time ticked by we heard that the planes had been re-routed and were headed to Chicago instead. It made no sense. We had the resources, we were willing, and we were able. Why re-route?

Our supervisors at the Red Cross didn't have any answers either. They barely had communication in regards to the planes. It was all a waiting game.

But when you think about it, we didn't have it too bad. Yeah, we waited all day with nothing to do, but we had our needs met. We had shelter. We had food. We had running water and bathrooms. We weren't climbing onto roofs just to survive.

I'm volunteering again, this time at Reese. I'll go back tonight from 1:30am-9:30am. At least I know I'll be put to some use instead of waiting.

No comments: