Thursday, March 24, 2005

Where have all the children gone?

Where have they gone? They're probably all out wandering in some parking lot somewhere, very close to a busy street. And do their mother's care? No, not really.

I went running the other day. A four-miler(ish) on a newly discovered route. 1100 East. I had made the turn-around and was headed back home. I passed the Eastside Market and there was a little girl, probably no more than three years old, wandering towards the busy street. As I ran past I looked for a parent-type person, but no one was to be found. Not even anyone in a parked car. I stopped, turned around, and ran over to the little girl.

I asked her if she knew where her mom or dad was.

"Suckah!" she replied, as she held up the empty stick of the sucker she had just devoured. The evidence all over her face.

A man pulled up in a white car.

"Is she okay? I saw her and had to stop and see."

"Yeah," I yelled back, "I'm just trying to find her mom."

Satisfied with my efforts, he pulled away.

I was glad someone else had seen her too. But then the thought entered my head: what if I was trying to help this little girl out and someone pulled up and said he was the dad. I would just give this child over without any proof that he really was who he said he was. It was a chilling thought. It's a sick world we live in.

I walked her over to the market and asked the clerk if she knew where her mom might be. She casually answered, "Yeah, she's probably looking for her." Another lady appeared from behind a shelf. The clerk yelled something over to her. She, apparently, was the mother.

After that I didn't quite know what to do with myself. The child was safely within the mother's care. The strangest (or most infuriating) part about the whole situation that the mother didn't even seem to care! Her daughter had been out wandering by a very highly trafficked road and brought in by a complete stranger! There was no panicked expression of relief and thanks. It was all so casual. I turned and started to walk toward the door. I barely got a "Thanks" on my way out.

I do not want to be one of those mother's who doesn't care what happens to my kids. I don't want to be the mom who has so many kids that some get lost in the mix. I don't want to be the mom who is too tired to care about where they are and their safety. I don't want to be apathetic and neglectful.

Mothers: Know when your kids wander near busy streets and then DON'T LET THEM DO IT!

No comments: